my system is an ubuntu 20.04 lts laptop.

I successfully installed apache2. I verified the installation by visiting
http://localhost:80

Now I am having problems trying to run a Perl CGI script which I had
running under Windows 10 on  Apache 2.4

I modified the sites-enabled/000-default.conf file by removing the '#' from
the start of the "Include conf-available/serve-cgi-bin.conf" line. I then
created the /usr/lib/cgi-bin directory. I next put a small Perl CGI script
named "printenv.cgi" under /usr/lib/cgi-bin. I then restarted the apache2
server. When I attempted to run my newly created CGI script gy visiting
localhost:80/cgi-bin/printenv.cgi all that happened was I received a "404
Not Found" error. I looked at the apache logfile and it provided no further
info.

I even tried using the "wget" command. same 404 error.

What have I done wrong?

--

Barrry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada