Greeting,

On Ubuntu 18.04, Apache version 2.4.29, all packages installed from standard repositories and no customization.

We have a need to allow certain group of people to perform operations such as start/stop/reload etc. Traditionally these operations are performed using sudo command e.g. sudo service apache2 start. These people don't need full sudo permissions. All they need is apache related permissions. We can tinker with an entry in sudoers.d and grant required permissions - but permissions need to be granted to "service" command

Root problem I am trying to solve is dynamically managing instance from Amazon ec2 and adding/removing it from traffic. Right now we have a list of balancer members and this list needs to managed. This is QA related activity where we start/stop instance as per need using bunch of scripts. Since IP address keeps changing, we have to manage balancer configuration. We have not yet got around automating balancer manager operations and looking for easier way out.

Are there any recommended best practices or guides to allow these kinds of granular permissions? My searches so far has revealed commands using sudo.

Regards,

Niranjan