Greetings,

On Ubuntu 20.04, apache version 2.4.29.

I did obvious google searches, but may be I am missing right search terms and hence request for the help.

We have bunch of services on back end servers and we use Apache proxy pass and related stuff. This all works perfectly and as documented.

Often times we encounter a challenge of tracing the request to end server as there are multiple requests coming in to apache and they are all distributed to backend server which in turn can make calls to other servers. Is it possible to add some sort of transaction token as a header when we call proxy pass. We can log the headers at other end, carry it forward as needed. This will help us to collate the data and quickly figure out what we served for which request.

Essentially, I am looking for adding a auto generated unique id to headers when proxy pass makes the call to backend. We can log the header in our logs or carry it further down as needed so that we can trace the flow end to end.

Is this possible? If so, can you please help me by pointing out the documentation or steps.

Regards,

Niranjan