Are you perhaps using httpd on Linux and if so is it a Linux version with
selinux?

If that's your scenario, take a look at this, with selinux the file
permissions are only half the story, you have to categorize data in other
directories by setting the type.  I just had to do this, was a bit of a
learning curve.

This was helpful for me:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/selinux_users_and_administrators_guide/sect-managing_confined_services-the_apache_http_server-configuration_examples

Obviously if you're not on something with selinux then this wouldn't
apply.  :)