On Tuesday 12 January 2021 05:01:09 Jason Long wrote:

> I did below rule, but not worked:
> # iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn --dport 80 -m connlimit
> --connlimit-above 20 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

Lessons learned while trying to stop the &^$>#@# bots from mirroring my
content on a 10 mbit circuit 10 times a day, burning up my upload
bandwidth.

1. I watch the other* log.
2. on stretch, I still use iptables
3. I don't reject, I DROP, they get no response to even prove I'm there.
4. since they move bots addy's around weekly to get around people like
me, I block that whole 256 wide block with a /24 appended to the ipv4
addy.

5. I'm in ipv4 territory, so when I see a bot in that log, I use its ipv4
address in /24 format to save writing 255 more rules.

6. really stubborn addresses that don't obey robots.txt get the /16
treatment.

7. 114 such rules later, I finally have my internet back. But it does
take some maintenance time. I haven't changed my habits, but my
bandwidth useage has dropped from 300+G a month a year ago to 30 or 40
now. And now if I have something of use to others, they can get it.
Slowly, but they can get it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis