Hi to all,

I already posted this question to stackoverflow.com but no answer after 9
days:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67439771/why-so-much-difference-in-memory-used-per-process-in-apache2-between-two-differe

I hope the apache gurus in this list can help me :)

I have a pair of Ubuntu dedicated servers...

Server1:
Ubuntu 16.04.7 (64 bits)
16GB RAM
8 Xeon CPU
Apache 2.4.18
MPM mode: prefork

Server2:
Ubuntu server 20.04.2 (64 bits)
32GB RAM
8 Xeon CPU
2.4.41
MPM mode: event

On Server1, each apache2 process uses between 7MB and 18MB of RAM ...
# ps axo 'user rss cmd' | grep apache | grep -v "\(root\|grep\|tomcat\)"
www-data 18232 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 11700 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 11276 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 10792 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 11216 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 11600 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 10336 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 11356 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 11348 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 10980 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 11316 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data  6808 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start

On Server2, each apache2 process uses between 120MB and 130MB of RAM ...
# ps axo 'user rss cmd' | grep apache | grep -v "\(root\|grep\|tomcat\)"
www-data 120436 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 119784 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 128720 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
www-data 130208 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start

Why so much difference in memory used?

After read a few documentation and googleing, I thought about loaded
modules, but there are not a lot of difference between each server...

Server1
# apache2 -M
Loaded Modules:
 core_module (static)
 so_module (static)
 watchdog_module (static)
 http_module (static)
 log_config_module (static)
 logio_module (static)
 version_module (static)
 unixd_module (static)
 access_compat_module (shared)
 actions_module (shared)
 alias_module (shared)
 auth_basic_module (shared)
 auth_digest_module (shared)
 auth_openidc_module (shared)
 authn_core_module (shared)
 authn_file_module (shared)
 authz_core_module (shared)
 authz_host_module (shared)
 authz_user_module (shared)
 autoindex_module (shared)
 bw_module (shared)
 cgi_module (shared)
 dav_module (shared)
 dav_fs_module (shared)
 dav_lock_module (shared)
 deflate_module (shared)
 dir_module (shared)
 env_module (shared)
 expires_module (shared)
 fcgid_module (shared)
 filter_module (shared)
 headers_module (shared)
 include_module (shared)
 mime_module (shared)
 mpm_prefork_module (shared)
 negotiation_module (shared)
 proxy_module (shared)
 proxy_balancer_module (shared)
 proxy_fcgi_module (shared)
 proxy_http_module (shared)
 rewrite_module (shared)
 setenvif_module (shared)
 slotmem_shm_module (shared)
 socache_shmcb_module (shared)
 ssl_module (shared)
 status_module (shared)
 suexec_module (shared)
 userdir_module (shared)

Server2
# apache2 -M
Loaded Modules:
 core_module (static)
 so_module (static)
 watchdog_module (static)
 http_module (static)
 log_config_module (static)
 logio_module (static)
 version_module (static)
 unixd_module (static)
 access_compat_module (shared)
 aclr_module (shared)
 actions_module (shared)
 alias_module (shared)
 auth_basic_module (shared)
 auth_digest_module (shared)
 auth_openidc_module (shared)
 authn_core_module (shared)
 authn_file_module (shared)
 authz_core_module (shared)
 authz_host_module (shared)
 authz_user_module (shared)
 autoindex_module (shared)
 cgid_module (shared)
 dav_module (shared)
 dav_fs_module (shared)
 dav_lock_module (shared)
 deflate_module (shared)
 dir_module (shared)
 env_module (shared)
 fcgid_module (shared)
 filter_module (shared)
 headers_module (shared)
 include_module (shared)
 mime_module (shared)
 mpm_event_module (shared)
 negotiation_module (shared)
 proxy_module (shared)
 proxy_balancer_module (shared)
 proxy_fcgi_module (shared)
 proxy_http_module (shared)
 remoteip_module (shared)
 reqtimeout_module (shared)
 rewrite_module (shared)
 security2_module (shared)
 setenvif_module (shared)
 slotmem_shm_module (shared)
 socache_shmcb_module (shared)
 ssl_module (shared)
 status_module (shared)
 suexec_module (shared)
 unique_id_module (shared)
 userdir_module (shared)

I already changed MPM mode from Event to Prefork on Server2, with the same
results.

What else can I check to understand this difference?

Thank's!

--

Manxa
1876, S.L. *

* Manxa Industrial | *Coneix
més aquí
<http://www.manxaindustrial.com>

* Manxa Ferros | *Coneix
més aquí
<http://www.manxaferros.com/>

* Manxa Ferreteria i Parament de la Llar |
*Coneix
més aquí <https://www.manxabricolatge.com>

**

--

El contingut d’aquest correu electrònic i els seus annexos és
estrictament confidencial. En el cas que no siguis el destinatari i hagis

El contenido
de este correo electrónico y sus anexos es estrictamente confidencial. En
el caso de que no seas el destinatario y hayas recibido este mensaje por
error, rogamos lo comuniques al remitente y procedas a su eliminación, sin
difundir, almacenar o copiar su contenido. Imprimir este correo solo si es
necesario.

The content of this email and its attachments is strictly
confidential. If you are not the recipient and you have received this
message by mistake, please notify the sender and proceed to its
elimination, without spreading, storing or copying its content. Print this
email only if necessary.

Le contenu de cet e-mail et de ses pièces jointes
est strictement confidentiel. Dans le cas où vous n'êtes pas le
destinataire et avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez en informer
l'expéditeur et procéder à sa suppression, sans diffuser, stocker ou copier
son contenu. Imprimez cet e-mail uniquement si nécessaire.