I have checked both, but have made no changes to the locations of either the
access log nor the error log:

 CustomLog "/private/var/log/apache2/access_log” common

As per these instructions, I have not created a Virtual Host container, so
ostensibly the log files should not be elsewhere:

  # The location and format of the access logfile (Common Logfile Format).
    # If you do not define any access logfiles within a <VirtualHost>
    # container, they will be logged here.  Contrariwise, if you *do*
    # define per-<VirtualHost> access logfiles, transactions will be
    # logged therein and *not* in this file.

Might the change I added to the DirectoryIndex be culprit? i.e. the index.php
file?

# DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory
# is requested.
#
<IfModule dir_module>
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html