Well, what does your Proxy directive look like ? if it uses the ajp
protocol, then you use AJP, if it says https or something else, then you
don't use AJP.

ProxyPass "/app" "ajp://backend.example.com:8009/app"   (you use ajp)
ProxyPass "/app" "https://backend.example.com:8009/app"; (you don't use ajp)

see: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html

:wq

Carsten