Hi Fredrik,

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:16:58 +0100
Fredrik Tolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 18:17 +1030, Mark Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 15:59:30 -0500
> > Gene Cronk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Not in Windows XP.  Windows CIFS isn't supported in IPv6 until Vista.
> > >

> > Anybody know if the protocol spec / method of operation for IPv6 CIFS
> > has been published somewhere ?
>
> I'm not very knowledgeable about CIFS/SMB, but is there really a need
> for a new spec just to run it over IPv6? Isn't SMB transport-layer
> agnostic?

I'm thinking more of an IPv6 version NetBIOS over TCP/UDP e.g. rfc1001
and rfc1002. I've generally understood the SMB/CIFS needed a NetBIOS
interface / protocol sitting under it, and therefore there'd need to be
an IPv6 version of NetBIOS over TCP/UDP. Conventional DNS can replace
the NetBIOS name resolution process, however I'd thought there were more
functions NetBIOS provided that just name resolution.

Regards,
Mark.