JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:

> We are considering four possible implementations:
> 1. try only ip6.arpa

This is the only one that should exist in current and new implementations.

For deployed stacks, the ones people don't want/forget to upgrade there
is a very simple solution to all of this: DNAME

8<--------------------------------------------------------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ dig @ns2.sixxs.net 8.b.d.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.int. any

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @ns2.sixxs.net 8.b.d.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.int. any
; (2 servers found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;8.b.d.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.int.       IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ip6.int.                604800  IN      DNAME   ip6.arpa.
8.b.d.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.int. 0      IN      CNAME   8.b.d.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.
------------------------------------------------------------>8

For SixXS we implemented the above on 9-9-2004 and we have, till date,
not received a single report of problems in doing this. Except for
people trying to put their reverse under ip6.int and not under ip6.arpa,
but those where easily fixed.

RIR's and other 'high level' DNS servers could thus easily DNAME ip6.int
to ip6.arpa, moving current ip6.int NS delegations to ip6.arpa, if there
is no delegating there and notifying the admins that this was done.
Note for resolvers not supporting DNAME a CNAME is emitted and resolvers
do support this. Also most resolvers will understand DNAME when they are
from a timeframe where the host is also IPv6 capable.

Greets,
 Jeroen