That's a good point, Martin.

I guess I should elaborate a little more...

- it's relatively easy for us to write a domain service that will send out
an SMS, mail or twitter message.  We haven't done written any of these, but
it's just a matter of wrapping the API in a domain service that then gets
injected into the domain entities to call. The notification then arrives on
the users (eg waiters) device through whatever service has been used (eg
they receive a text message)

- the Atmosphere/web sockets approach is more about making the Isis viewer
real-time; eg if a user A is looking at an object and some other user B
changes that object, then user A gets notified directly.  Again, not yet
implemented, but more complex, and probably less relevant to your
requirement.

So, I suggest you think about what mechanism you want your users (waiters)
to be notified by, and then write a domain service to call it.  If you
want, we can take the code and host it on isisaddons.org [4]

Cheers
Dan

[4] http://www.isisaddons.org