Currently returning a URL will open the object in a new window.

I think the way to support this requirement is to write a new Wicket
ComponentFactory implementation for something like an iFrame, and then have
a bit of additional metadata (probably in @ActionLayout since it pertains
to the UI) which would act as a hint to this IFrame factory.

Don't think this would be too difficult to implement; just not done yet.

If you have an exact requirement, perhaps we could use that to drive
forward the design?

Cheers
Dan