I'm not sure what the implications are, but I was able to get a neo4j datastore
working with Apache Isis by modifying
org.apache.isis.objectstore.jdo.datanucleus.DataNucleusApplicationComponents#createSchema
 in the "Isis Core Runtime module" to check if the datanucleus StoreManager
supports the SchemaAwareStoreManager interface before casting.

It is persisting data successfully.

private void createSchema(final Map<String, String> props, final Set<String>
classesToBePersisted) {
    final JDOPersistenceManagerFactory jdopmf =
(JDOPersistenceManagerFactory)persistenceManagerFactory;
    final NucleusContext nucleusContext = jdopmf.getNucleusContext();
    final StoreManager storeManager = nucleusContext.getStoreManager();
    if (storeManager instanceof SchemaAwareStoreManager) {

((SchemaAwareStoreManager)storeManager).createSchema(classesToBePersisted,
asProperties(props));
    }
}

Jeremy D. Branham