Hmm, sounds like a new requirement.  The idea of CLOB really is to
represent documents, not for direct editing.

As a workaround, could you define a derived non-persisted property and have
it update the clob, eg:

@PropertyLayout(multiLine=20)
@javax.jdo.annotations.NotPersistent
public String getText() {
    return getClob().getChars().toString();
}
public void setText(String text) {
    setClob(new Clob(..., ..., text);  // whatever
}

private Clob clob;
@javax.jdo.annotations.Persistent
public Clob getClob() { ... }
public void setClob(Clob clob) { ... }

if using actions, then similarly:

public void updateText(@ParameterLayout(multiLine=20) String text) {
    setClob(...);
}
public String default0UpdateText() { return
getClob().getChars().toString(); }

HTH
Dan