Hi Dan,

"outside the code - but close to it" does seem like a better solution,
asciidoc and markdown do seem to have become a defacto standards. (No one
was ever meant to write XML directly).

It seems there are tools that go from asciidoc to DocBook as well [2], if
that is is specific interest for creation of true documents.

The overlay idea is good too, I was thinking of something like in Eclipse
where you can then press 'F2 for focus' to scroll in the overlay dialog.

[2] http://asciidocfx.com/