> Why does Apache ISIS use DataNucleus over Hibernate, despite hibernate being
> faster than datanucleus

While it is very much for Apache ISIS team members to decide what they use (or
provide access to) and why, and I'm not part of that process, I will reply
however due to the "statement" made above.

Disclaimer : I am a developer of DataNucleus, and its predecessor (JPOX).

Over the years I've seen various "X is faster than Y" statements. In terms of
DataNucleus, we have had people using alpha releases of DataNucleus and
comparing against production releases of Hibernate, people making zero effort
to configure DataNucleus compared with using their experience in configuring
Hibernate, and people just taking overall end-to-end timings and paying no
attention to what is actually being performed in terms of correctness, and so
on.

1. The time taken to persist and retrieve data will almost never be a
bottleneck in any application, particularly when compared to RDBMS speed,
network latency, and other factors. As a result, technical correctness ought to
be the most important factor.
2. DataNucleus has been demonstrated to be as fast or faster than Hibernate in
many situations, when you bother to configure it.
3. DataNucleus has its own set of extension features that Hibernate does not
provide (just like Hibernate has some that it thinks are important).
4. DataNucleus supports way more databases than Hibernate.
5. DataNucleus supports more APIs than Hibernate
6. DataNucleus is provided under a less restrictive license than Hibernate

Cast a glance over
https://datanucleus.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/performance-effect-of-various-features/

At the end of the day, there are many persistence solutions out there and the
developer has a great choice available to them and, whatever they use, they
should be able to develop good products. Just please don't come up with some
incorrect statement to justify your choice for which you want to use.

Regards
--
Andy
DataNucleus (Web: http://www.datanucleus.org   Twitter: @datanucleus)