Oh well, I guess I'll try and get the xml one working.  The sample xml that I
get from the jackrabbit site doesn't appear to work.  I'm getting the error
on startup:

Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredDocumentImpl
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredDocumentImpl
        at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.util.DOMWalker.iterateElements(DOMWalker.java:214)
        at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.nodetype.xml.NodeTypeReader.getNodeTypeDefs(NodeTypeReader.jav
a:118)

Here is the xml:

<nodeType name="nt:resource"
          isMixin="false"
          hasOrderableChildNodes="false"
          primaryItemName="jcr:data">
    <supertypes>
        <supertype>nt:base</supertype>
        <supertype>mix:referenceable</supertype>
    </supertypes>
    <propertyDefinition name="jcr:encoding"
                        requiredType="String"
                        autoCreated="false"
                        mandatory="false"
                        onParentVersion="COPY"
                        protected="false"
                        multiple="false"/>
    <propertyDefinition name="jcr:mimeType"
                        requiredType="String"
                        autoCreated="false"
                        mandatory="true"
                        onParentVersion="COPY"
                        protected="false"
                        multiple="false"/>
    <propertyDefinition name="jcr:data"
                        requiredType="Binary"
                        autoCreated="false"
                        mandatory="true"
                        onParentVersion="COPY"
                        protected="false"
                        multiple="false"/>
    <propertyDefinition name="jcr:lastModified"
                        requiredType="Date"
                        autoCreated="false"
                        mandatory="true"
                        onParentVersion="IGNORE"