Experienced guys might laugh at my comments but just a couple of months ago, I went through the process that you are trying.

I used Eclipse as well.
I did not have a repository.xml so Jackrabbit creates one that works if it does not find a repository.xml. This is a nice touch for a beginner. You can tweak it later.

I am not sure what you mean by "Start the server"
The first hop program (Hop1) starts an embedded server. You can only have one server running at a time.

Which Hop did you die on?
Did you do anything NOT in the instructions? You just have to copy the code into a project and run it.

Ron