Hi all,

I've been successfully using Apache Jackrabbit 2.4.3 and now 2.6.0
(standalone server in both cases) using the default configuration, so the
repository is stored on the filesystem.

How can I make it connect to a MySQL back end instead? I don't need to
worry about migration, just set it up as a fresh install.

After trying the steps below, Jackrabbit fails to start correctly or
populate the DATASTORE table in the database, and I find this error in the
logs:

ERROR [main] RepositoryImpl.java:366
           failed to start Repository: Cannot instantiate persistence
manager org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.pool.MySqlPersistenceManager
    javax.jcr.RepositoryException: Cannot instantiate persistence manager
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.pool.MySqlPersistenceManager
    [... oodles of backtrace cut ...]
What I've done so far:

I've created the Jackrabbit database/user, which I can connect to no
problem:

mysql -D jackrabbit -u jackrabbit -h localhost -pjackrabbit
I started with a clean slate (empty /var/jackrabbit directory), except the
configuration file comes from here:
https://raw.github.com/wiki/jackalope/jackalope/files/repository.xml

Here's the startup script I'm using:
https://github.com/sixty-nine/Jackrabbit-startup-script

And here's the java process that runs:

java -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xmx512M -Xms128M -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=1111
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=true
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=/opt/jackrabbit/startup/jmx.user
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file=/opt/jackrabbit/startup/jmx.role
-jar /opt/jackrabbit/jackrabbit-standalone-2.6.0.jar -h 127.0.0.1 -p 8080
I don't think I get far enough for it to matter, but I'm using MySQL
5.5.28-1.

I'm having the above problem with both 2.4.3 and 2.6.0.

Also:

java version "1.6.0_24"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11.5) (6b24-1.11.5-1)
Plus I subsequently installed the MySQL JDBC library on Debian:

apt-get install libmysql-java

Thanks,

Lars.