On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:17 AM, David Jordan <davej...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> If you have not read any "scientific research papers" that address things you
> have placed in your research paper, then you don't include a reference. There
> are papers on Jena out there, but just including them for the sake of having
> some is bogus and unethical. You just want the full bibliographic info, so it
> sounds like you don't intend to even read it. Surely you read the online Jena
> documentation, reference that.

I interpreted this request as more of typical ettiquette, along the
lines of "I've been using the system that you built, and have
benefited from the research and work that you've done.  How would you
prefer to be cited?"  Much in the way that, were I to cite this email
thread, I'd ask, "Mr. Jordan, when I cite mailing list posts, do you
prefer D. Jordan or David Jordan, or perhaps something else?"  This
can be especially important in computer-science related fields where
many conference proceedings articles are freely available, but the
better journal version is behind a paywall;  it's nice to give the
authors a chance to say "Cite the journal verison, please! Here's an
offprint that you can look at!"

At any rate, I don't know what citations the Jena developers prefer to
be used, but one might be:

Jena: Jena: Implementing the Semantic Web Recommendations
http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2003/HPL-2003-146.pdf
(notice that this is a techreport, but the developers might know that
it was published in a conference or journal, and the appropriate
citation therefor)

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/