The datasets are typically added via configuration in $FUSEKI_HOME/config.ttl
or $FUSEKI_HOME/configuration/<name of dataset>.ttl

Information about the configuration is available here:
https://jena.apache.org/documentation/fuseki2/fuseki-configuration.html

As for using an external DB, you may want to look into using TDB as a backing
store for the triples: there are examples for this on the page listed above.

Regards,
Aaron