On 04/02/2019 12:31, Pierre Grenon wrote:
Hi,

following up after going through my attempts more systematically again. I'm
trying to be as specific and clear as I can. Any feedback most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Pierre

1. It is possible to have a configuration file in which data is loaded into a
TDB and inferences are ran over this data. In this case:

1.a Data in named graphs created using SPARQL Update into a TDB dataset
persists upon restart.

Data must be loaded through the inference graph for the inferencer to notice the change.

So the SPARQL updates can't create a new graph. Assemblers have a fixed configuration.

(You could have one graph per database and upload new assemblers while Fuseki is running..)

1.b Assertional data in these named graphs is immediately available to the
reasoning endpoint without server restart.

1.c Inference on data loaded using SPARQL Update requires restart of the server
after upload.

1.d CLEAR ALL in the TDB dataset endpoint requires server restart to have the
inference dataset emptied. (Queries to the reasoning endpoint for either
assertional or inferred data both return the same results as prior to clearing
the TDB dataset.)

Same general point - if you manipulate the database directly, the inference code doesn't know a change has happened or what has changed.

2. TDB2 does not allow this --- or is it, at the moment only? As per OP in this
thread, the configuration adapted to TDB2 breaks. Based on Andy's response,
this may be caused by Bug Jena-1633. Would fixing the bug be enough to allow
for the configuration using TDB2?

JENA-1663.

3. Inference datasets do not synch with the underlying TDB(2) datasets (1.b and
1.c in virtue of the in memory nature of inference models and the way
configuration files are handled as per Andy's and ajs6f 's responses).

In view of this, however, 1.b is really weird.

4. Adding a service update method to the reasoning service does not seem to
allow updating the inference dataset. Sending SPARQL Update to the inference
endpoint does not result in either additional assertional or inferred data.
(Although, per 1.b, asserted data is returned when the SPARQL Update is sent to
the TDB endpoint.)

The base graph of the inference model is updated.

But you have that set to <urn:x-arq:UnionGraph>.

That applies to SPARQL query - the updates will have gone to the real default graph but that is hidden by your setup.

Question:

What is the prescribed way of keeping disc data and inference datasets in synch?

Update via the inference model.
Don't wire it to the union graph.

Is it:

P1 - upon SPARQL Update to disc data, restart server (and reinitialise
inference dataset)?
This makes it difficult to manage successive updates, especially when there may
be dependencies between states them, e.g., in in order to make update 2 I need
to have done update 1, I need to restart after update 1.

Given that TDB only works at the moment, what is the 'transactional' meaning of
having to do this?

P2 - upon SPARQL Update to disc data, SPARQL Update inference dataset. Is it
possible to update the inference dataset? In that case, is it possible to
guarantee that the two datasets are in synch? Does TDB versus TDB2 matter?

5. Not for self that property chains are not supported by the OWLFBReasoner.

##### TDB Configuration
##### From:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47568703/named-graphs-v-default-graph-behaviour-in-apache-jena-fuseki
@prefix :      <http://base/#> .
@prefix tdb:   <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2008/tdb#> .
@prefix rdf:   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix ja:    <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2005/11/Assembler#> .
@prefix rdfs:  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix fuseki: <http://jena.apache.org/fuseki#> .

# TDB
tdb:DatasetTDB  rdfs:subClassOf  ja:RDFDataset .
tdb:GraphTDB    rdfs:subClassOf  ja:Model .

# Service 1: Dataset endpoint (no reasoning)
:dataService a fuseki:Service ;
   fuseki:name           "tdbEnpointTDBB" ;
   fuseki:serviceQuery   "sparql", "query" ;
   fuseki:serviceUpdate  "update" ;
   fuseki:dataset        :tdbDataset ;
.

# Service 2: Reasoning endpoint
:reasoningService a fuseki:Service ;
   fuseki:dataset                 :infDataset ;
   fuseki:name                    "reasoningEndpointTDBB" ;
   fuseki:serviceQuery            "query", "sparql" ;
   fuseki:serviceReadGraphStore   "get" ;
.

# Inference dataset
:infDataset rdf:type ja:RDFDataset ;
             ja:defaultGraph :infModel ;
.

# Inference model
:infModel a ja:InfModel ;
            ja:baseModel :g ;

            ja:reasoner [
               ja:reasonerURL <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2003/OWLFBRuleReasoner> ;
            ] ;
.

# Intermediate graph referencing the default union graph
:g rdf:type tdb:GraphTDB ;
    tdb:dataset :tdbDataset ;
    tdb:graphName <urn:x-arq:UnionGraph> ;
.

# The location of the TDB dataset
:tdbDataset rdf:type tdb:DatasetTDB ;
         tdb:location  "C:\\dev\\apache-jena-fuseki-3.8.0\\run/databases/tdbB" ;