On 24/03/2019 14:34, Jerven Tjalling Bolleman wrote:
Hi All,

Cross posting as this seems to be a question of spec implementation and I am not sure what the correct answer is supposed to be.

SELECT *
WHERE {
   BIND("ABCDEFGHIJK" AS ?s2)
   BIND(SUBSTR(?s2, 0, 1) AS ?sub)
}

SUBSTR => XPath fn:substring

"""
Otherwise, the function returns a string comprising those ·characters· of $sourceString whose index position (counting from one) is greater than or equal to the value of $start (rounded to an integer), and (if $length is specified) less than the sum of $start and $length (both rounded to integers).
"""

Note: it says "less than the sum of $start and $length" i.e. less (not equal to) 1. It does not correct for the $start being zero or negative.

What does

substr("12345", 0, 3) return?
  It should be "12"

substr("12345", -3, 5) return?
  It should be "1"

These are examples from [F&O] section 5.4.3 "substr"

This gives "" in jena but "A" in rdf4j and virtuoso.
Seems to be some ambiguity in https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#func-substr I think it is because while 1 is given as the index of the first character for susbtring. the way that virtuoso and rdf4j seem to deal with it is to take for the first value at least 1. While jena actually uses the given value in the calculation.

Jena's custom function "afn:substr" does things java-style - zero based.

e.g.

SELECT *
WHERE {
   BIND("ABCDEFGHIJK" AS ?s2)
   BIND(SUBSTR(?s2, 0, 2) AS ?sub)
}

Gives "A" in jena but "AB" in virtuoso

Regards,
Jerven

[F&O]
XPath and XQuery Functions and Operators 3.1