There's not a lot details there to go on.

As a general principle Pellet is a complete DL reasoner whereas the jena OWL rules are much more limited. If you want complete and performant DL inference then use a proper DL reasoner. In simple cases the jena rules can give useful results in reasonable time and they serve a useful purpose in many settings. However, for hard cases they can easily fall into exponential behaviour. Even just equality reasoning can be problematic. Ontology size it not itself an indication of reasoning complexity.

Dave