On 09/06/2020 12:18, Wolfgang Fahl wrote:
Marco

thank you for sharing your results. Could you please try to make the
sample size 10 and 100 times bigger for the discussion we currently have
at hand. Getting to a billion triples has not been a problem for the
WikiData import. From 1-10 billion triples it gets tougher and
for >10 billion triples there is no success story yet that I know of.

This brings us to the general question - what will we do in a few years
from now when we'd like to work with 100 billion triples or more and the
upcoming decades where we might see a rise in data size that stays
exponential?

At several levels, the world is going parallel, both one "machine" (a computer is a distributed system) and datacenter wide.

Scale comes from multiple machines. There is still mileage in larger single machine architectures and better software, but not long term.

At another level - why have all the data in the same place? Convenience.

Search engines are not a feature of WWW architecture. They are an emergent effect because it is convenient (simpler, easier) to have one place to find things - and that also makes it a winner-takes-all market.

Convenience has limits. Search engine style does not work for all tasks, e.g. search within the enterprise for example, or indeed for data. And it has consequences in the clandestine data analysis and data abuse.

    Andy

Wolfgang