On 26/05/2021 18:08, Jens Zurawski wrote:
Hi Andy, hi list,

because I'm new to the list, I wasn't able to directly reply to the corresponding thread. I'm referring to the equal named thread "Federated Query with credentials" from the past days.

I am a good skilled Java developer, but my knowledge about Jena, Fuseki and SPARQL is quite limited, so please don't shoot me if I'm asking some obvious or silly questions. ;-)

Andy, from my understanding the solution you've outlined in your last reply to this thread is only working if the requester (aka the application) and the query executor (aka the fuseki server) is running in the same Java VM, right? It is not possible to pass an HttpClient instance from one JVM to another or even to another machine. So this will not work in our scenario.

We have an application separated from the fuseki server (we are using the binary pre build package). So with RDFConnectionRemoteBuilder it is no problem to create a normal Request with an customized HttpClient using our CredentialProvider. But in case the Query includes a SERVICE subquery to a different dataset or even a different host, from what I think, the request for this subquery is then initiated by fuseki, right?

For this to work we have to tell fuseki the credentials to use on one way or the other. In the past we've done that together with the IRI. It's not perfect but it worked until 4.0.0.

In your last reply you've said:

"In 4.0.0 it can be overzealous
It will remain a wanring, but be passed through."

Does that mean that in future versions the IRI method will work again but only put some warnings? Because 4.0.0 throws an HTTP 500 error and no warning.

Yes - you can try the development builds where it should be fixed.

Our needed SERVICE IRIs are somewhat static, so it would fully suffice if there would be a possibility to just configure the fuseki server with some credentials to some IRIs. Is this possible somehow? Or would we have to build our own fuseki with an enhacement to give an own CredentialsProvider to the default HttpClient?

Fuseki Main is more flexible and easier to add Java to. (No UI.) The CLI is driving the server builder.

A custom app can call the CLI as well - it's just a main function.

That makes setting up the SERVICE environment possible.

    Andy

thanks in advance for some insigths
Jens