On 23/08/2021 08:16, Simon Gray wrote:
Thanks Dave, that is great to know!

Rght now I’m using one of the built-in OntModelSpec instances, calling
`setBaseModelMaker` and `setImportModelMaker` on it with an instance created by
`ModelFactory.createMemModelMaker` as the argument. It is my understanding that
I will then also have to extend (or implement) both a Reasoner, e.g.
org.apache.jena.reasoner.rulesys.OWLMicroReasoner, as well as a
ReasonerFactory, e.g. OWLMicroReasonerFactory to make fresh OntModelSpec
instance.

You shouldn't need to extend or implement a Reasoner.

I think you can simply create a reasoner instance - instantiate a GenericRuleReasoner with the rules you want - and can then use setReasoner on your copy of the OntModelSpec to install it for use.

Note that a reasoner can be reused multiple times - it's the InfModel/InfGraph which holds all the reasoner state for a given underlying base Model/Graph. The reasoner is just a reusable engine.

If you find that inelegant then you could indeed install a ReasonerFactory (either the GenericRuleReasonerFactory passing in a configuration model or create your own instance of a ReasonerFactory) but I don't think that's necessary and certainly don't need to create a new Reasoner class.

Dave

I wonder if this is the way to go?