It basically means that the broker is expecting to read certain number of
bytes in a buffer received from socket, but there are fewer bytes than
expected in the buffer. Possible causes are (1) a bug in Kafka request
serialization/deserialization logic; (2) corruption in the underlying
system such as network.

BTW, did you enable compression in your producer?

Thanks,

Jun