I think there is a misunderstanding here. The log file division is
completely transparent to the consumer. The consumer consumes by
offset (0,1,2,3,...) and these offsets span log files (i.e. there is a
single, monotonically increasing set of offsets over all log files in
a partition). In other words consumers ALWAYS consume across log files
based on the position (offset) in the set of all logs in the
partition.

If you want fewer log files change the settings so that the log files
are bigger. However the only impact of this is fewer file handles, it
won't impact the consumer in any way at all.

Not sure if that helps...
-Jay