Hi Jason,

On May 20, 2013, at 10:01am, Jason Weiss wrote:

> Hi Scott.
>
> I'm using Kafka 0.7.2. I am using the default replication factor, since I
> don't recall changing that configuration at all.
>
> I'm using provisioned IOPS, which from attending the AWS event in NYC a
> few weeks ago was presented as the "fastest storage option" for EC2. A
> number of partners presented success stories in terms of throughput with
> provisioned IOPS. I've tried to follow that model.

In my experience directly hitting an ephemeral drive on m1.large is faster than
using EBS.

I've seen some articles where RAIDing multiple EBS volumes can exceed the
performance of ephemeral drives, but with high variability.

If you want to maximize performance, set up up a (smaller) cluster of
SSD-backed instances with 10Gb Ethernet in the same cluster group.

E.g. test with three cr1.8xlarge instances.

-- Ken

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com