I've been building the 0.8 branch and running tests in a semi-production
environment and haven't had any troubles yet.

I had one problem resulting from KAFKA-1046 where the Annotations*.scala files
all were loaded by our custom build system, resulting in duplicate class
declarations.  We had to remove the files for the Scala versions we weren't
using in order to build properly.

We aren't using sbt though, so its possible sbt somehow avoids this problem.