Joe,

Could you try -
bin/kafka-reassign-partitions.sh --topics-to-move-json-file
topics-to-move.json --zookeeper
zk-qa.us-e.roomkey.net:2181/kafka_stage/kafka_qa --broker-list "1"

Store the partition assignment output in a file partition-assignment.json,
then use that to execute the assignment -
bin/kafka-reassign-partitions.sh --manual-assignment-json-file
partition-assignment.json --zookeeper
zk-qa.us-e.roomkey.net:2181/kafka_stage/kafka_qa --broker-list "1"

Then check the status using the same file -
bin/kafka-reassign-partitions.sh --status-check-json-file
partition-assignment.json --zookeeper
zk-qa.us-e.roomkey.net:2181/kafka_stage/kafka_qa --broker-list "1"

I think the reassign partitions command could be improved.

Thanks,
Neha