Hi,

This might be a really, really simple question but how do I get my test
Kafka program working out of the box?  I followed the directions from
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#quickstart.  I started zk, the
server, the producer and consumer.  I played with the producer, sending
msgs to the consumer, which I saw show up in its terminal.  This was to the
"page_visits" topic, as specified in the example program.

I then went to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/0.8.0+Producer+Exampleand
copied the files into netbeans and built it.  I also added jar files
kafka-assembly-0.8.0-deps.jar and kafka_2.8.0-0.8.0-beta1.jar to make the
build work if that makes a difference.

Anyway, I then ran java -jar myjar.jar.  I expected to see a message show
up in the consumer, but nothing shows up.  I sent another msg from the
producer just to make sure the consumer was still connected, which it was
b/c the consumer received it.

I'm at wits end.  I know this is an extremely simple question and
everything looks identical to the links above and should be working.
 However, I'm not getting a message in the consumer.  Much thanks for any
help you can give me.  I'm about to ram my head into a wall.