Btw Sridhar: If you only want to write producer and/or consumer code in
Scala 2.10 you do not need to run the brokers (and thus build Kafka
itself) with 2.10, too.  That is, you can run the brokers with the stock
Scala 2.8 build and still write "your" code with 2.10. (But I am not
sure if that's what you want to do given your original question.)

See Joe Stein's response at
http://qnalist.com/questions/4631624/about-compiling-broker-in-0-8-branch.

Best,
Michael