I have briefly looked at storm, but just a quick question, storm seems to
have all these workers but they way it seems to me the order in which these
items are processed off the queue is very random correct?

In my use case order is very important so using something like storm would
not be suitable right?

I first learned of kafka + storm based on a post by someone from loggly,
but loggly can process items randomly I would imagine because at the end of
the day each log item is timestamped so after it is processed and indexed
things would be fine.

But if your use case is such that processing message#123 before message#122
would have side effects that you can't use something like storm.