Actually, looking at the code, the consumer client code can also catch this
exception while iterating for messages. The fetcher thread inserts a special
message before dying, which triggers an exception while client calls next
message

https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/0.7.2/core/src/main/scala/kafka/consumer/FetcherRunnable.scala#L87

So, we could create a new ConsumerConnector object when this error happens,
which will re-initialize the fetcher threads.

Thanks,
Suyog