This is a good idea, too.  I would modify it to include stream marking, then
you can have:

long end = consumer.lastOffset(tp);
consumer.setMark(end);
while(consumer.beforeMark()) {
   process(consumer.pollToMark());
}

or

long end = consumer.lastOffset(tp);
consumer.setMark(end);
for(Object msg : consumer.iteratorToMark()) {
   process(msg);
}

I actually have 4 suggestions, then:

 *   pull: stream marking
 *   pull: finite streams, bound by time range (up-to-now, yesterday) or offset
 *   pull: async api
 *   push: KafkaMessageSource, for a push model, with msg and OOB events.
Build one in either individual or chunk mode and have a listener for each msg
or a listener for a chunk of msgs.  Make it composable and policy driven
(chunked, range, commitOffsets policy, retry policy, transactional)

Thank you,
Robert

On Feb 22, 2014, at 11:21 AM, Jay Kreps