We haven't been testing the ShutdownBroker command in 0.8.1 rigorously
since in 0.8.1, one can do the controlled shutdown through the new config
"controlled.shutdown.enable". Instead of running the ShutdownBroker command
during the upgrade, you can also wait until under replicated partition
count drops to 0 after each restart before moving to the next one.

Thanks,

Jun