Hi LCassa,

That is expected. Most modern operating systems reserve all free memory as
"pagecache". Since Kafka reads/writes to the filesystem sequentially at
high throughput, most of the page cache is used up at all times. That is
good as well as expected.

This is different from the memory footprint of your Kafka server JVM, which
can be measured by turning on some gc logging or monitoring some JVM
metrics. As Jun mentions, you can also monitor the Kafka metrics he
mentioned to troubleshoot issues with garbage collection pauses or large
memory footprint of a Kafka server process.

Thanks,
Neha