That's a fairly old release - you may want to try 0.8.1 (or wait for
0.8.1.1 which should be out in late April since 0.8.1 has some known
bugs)?

That said, I tried locally but wasn't able to reproduce that level of
cpu usage. The 0.8 brokers do have higher idle CPU usage and we have a
ticket open to reduce that, but what you are seeing is probably
different. Can you use hprof on your broker to see where the CPU usage
is going? You will need to add this to your command-line:
-agentlib:hprof=cpu=samples,depth=15

Thanks,

Joel