We typically run all of our Zookeeper instances separate, but we do have
one Kafka cluster that is colocated with the Zookeeper nodes. It works
just fine, probably in part because Zookeeper handles everything serially.
The caveat is that the cluster that we¹re doing this on is not designed
for performance, but rather compactness. And we¹re getting rid of it
because we don¹t like the setup.

Keep in mind that you¹re colocating two applications that are sensitive to
disk I/O. This is going to affect performance of both systems and you
really need to decide if that¹s what you want. If you have enough spindles
to keep everything separate (Kafka data storage and Zookeeper transaction
logs on separate spindles from everything else) you might be OK.

-Todd