It typically throws a exception in the end of the sync producer cannot
deliver your message.

In the case where there is a IOException or similiar exceptions that
the Broker cannot deal with, I believe it will try to return
UnknownError response which will then throw in the producer.

In cases where it receives error codes where the producer can recover
from (ie: NotLeaderForPartition), it simply retries up to the
configured max retries.

Tim