On May 7, 2014, at 7:16 AM, Maung Than <maung_t...@apple.com> wrote:

> Hi  All,
>
> I have read this posting from linkedIn Team member;
> http://geekmantra.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/compression-in-kafka-gzip-or-snappy/
>  ; Thanks.
>
> I have few questions and thoughts:
>
> 4) Has any one else done Snappy Vs. GZIP comparison and chosen one over the
> other. If so what are your findings and why if you could share as we are
> going through this expertise.

I compared GZIP vs Snappy vs LZ4 for HTTP data a little while ago.

We found that GZIP was so slow that we could not saturate our network
connection with GZIP enabled - it just takes too much CPU!  We decided that
GZIP might make sense over WAN links but there’s no way it makes sense over a
LAN.

Snappy was much faster.

LZ4 was faster than GZIP and smaller than Snappy.  We switched to LZ4 and never
looked back.  It would be cool if Kafka supported it :)