On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Jun Rao <jun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Expansion can be done by following
> http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops_cluster_expansion
>
> If you just want to free up a server, you can stop the broker there and
> start a broker using the same broker id on a new server. Data should be
> automatically replicated to the new server.

The thing is, I don't want to fully free up the server, I just want it to
stop hosting all the topic,partition sets it originally did.

Here's the flow:

broker_1 hosts topic,{1,2,3,4}
over time load for the partitions overwhelms broker_1

spin up broker_2
migrate topic,{3,4} to broker_2 successfully

broker_1 is only useful if partitions topic,{3,4} are dropped by broker_1

how does one get broker_1 to disassociate, drop, forget, evict...(not sure
the verb) topic,{3,4} and let broker_2 own it.

Thanks,