I have seen that mail thread. Here is what i tried:

In my producer.properties I set topic.metadata.refresh.interval.ms=1000. I
guess this means that the a different partition will be selected every
second.

Then I restart my producer as : ./kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list
localhost:9092 --topic test2

Then I generate more data for a minute or so, I still see it going to one
partition.

Is this the right way to use the refresh property ?