Kam,
  Give it some time and think it's getting better as a real possibility for
Kafka on Yarn.  There are new capabilities coming out in Yarn/HDFS to allow
for node groups/label that can work with locality and secondarily new
functionality in HDFS that depending on the use-case can be very
interesting with in-memory files.
-Steve