To avoid data loss, you will need to (1) use ack=-1 in the producer; (2)
configure enough retries + backoff time in the producer (so that new
leaders can be elected during failure).

For controlled failure, you can reduce the unavailability window by using
controlled shutdown. See
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops_restarting

Thanks,

Jun