Hi Patrick,   Kafka can be used at any scale including small ones
(initially anyways). The issues I ran into personally various issues with
ZooKeeper management and a bug in deleting topics (is that fixed yet?)  In
any case you might try out Kafka  - given its highly performant, scalable,
and flexible backbone.   After that you will have little worry about scale
- given Kafka's use within massive web scale deployments.