I still have a question though.  Is there a definitive way to tell if a
topic is configured for compaction?  The way it seems to work now is that
the ZK config stores topic-specific config but the end results (whether
it's configured or not) is a combination of the topic-specific config and
the broker defaults for leader?

Thanks,

Roger