Hi,

I’m trying to make a request for offset information from my broker, and I get a
kafka.common.UnknownException as the result.

I’m trying to use the Simple Consumer API

        val topicAndPartition = new TopicAndPartition(“topic3”, 0)
        val requestInfo = new java.util.HashMap[TopicAndPartition,
PartitionOffsetRequestInfo]()
        requestInfo.put(topicAndPartition, new
PartitionOffsetRequestInfo(kafka.api.OffsetRequest.EarliestTime, 1))

        val request = new kafka.javaapi.OffsetRequest(requestInfo,
kafka.api.OffsetRequest.CurrentVersion, clientName)

        import kafka.javaapi._
        // conn: kafka.javaapi.consumer.SimpleConsumer
        val response: OffsetResponse = conn.getOffsetsBefore(request)

        println("got response [" + response + “]")

Output:
got response [OffsetResponse(0,Map([test3,1] -> error:
kafka.common.UnknownException offsets: 0))]

I really can’t figure out why I’m getting this response. As far as I know,
“topic3” with partition “0” exists on the broker, and I can use
bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh to consume from it without any problems.

Is there any idea of what could cause this exception?

As it is right now, I’m not even sure if the request gets to the broker. Is
there any way of activating more verbose logs on the broker?

I think I’m using a trunk build (2.10-0.8.3-SNAPSHOT)

BR
/Magnus